The Benefits of Living at Illabunda
Living at Illabunda will be a unique experience in Sydney with many benefits such as:
- Being part of a living and growing community with people of all ages and walks of life, sharing common values and goals.
- Governance structures to empower the community members to manage their living environment and future.
- A safe and healthy environment for children to live and grow and to learn to appreciate the natural environment and their community.
- Living in a compact low maintenance private lot with immediate access to large community spaces, only a few paces away from every dwelling.
- Use of a community centre which is the focus for village social activity including informal gatherings, BBQs, community meetings, education and arts, cooling off in summer.
- Easy access to Parramatta, Norwest Business Park and the city by peddle power, public transport or car.
- Your own forest for exploration, peaceful time out and contemplation or bush-care work.
- Access to community gardens for the satisfaction of growing your own healthy, organic* food and seedlings for local bush regeneration.
- Space around for some chooks and bees for delicious home-grown honey and eggs.
- Open space for kids to play and community gatherings and events.
- Lovely views. Sunrises and sunsets!
- A workshop where you can build and repair stuff or just potter around.
- Minimal reliance on mains water with potable water from harvesting rainwater and stormwater treated on-site for re-use.
- Grid-interactive solar photovoltaic electricity generation on each dwelling.
- Solar hotwater.
- Reticulated natural gas for cooking and heating.
- Opportunity for the community to try out other forms of energy generation and independent living.
- Reduced energy and water charges year after year.
- A community based composting and recycling service.
- Opportunity for operating a community share car and other share ideas.
* Accreditation as an organic site is an opportunity which the village community can explore